Subject: Re: bug#38993: 26.3; EBDB saves the database on Emacs exit even when told not to

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 10:54:35 -0800

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Oh, and in my quick testing in Spacemacs (this time I didn't start a
> minimally customized instance), setting `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil
> (either with `setq' or with Customize) has no effect if EBDB is already
> open. I believe it would be better to change this behavior. One reason
> is that it is counter-intuitive. Another is that the user might open
> EBDB, make some changes and then realize she does not want to persist
> them.

Okay, I guess that would work: always add a hook, but only actually do
the save if `ebdb-save-on-exit' is t. So if you have open *EBDB*
buffers, and unsaved changes, but you set `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil,
then when you kill Emacs you'll still get prompted to save EBDB, but if
you say "no" then nothing further will happen.

Note that you can (I think) also dump unsaved changes by running
`ebdb-reload-database' on the database in question. Come to think of it,
that command should ask for confirmation before reloading, if the
database has unsaved changes.

>> I'm glad it's useful to you! I hadn't really thought about donations,
>> I suppose it makes me a tiny bit uncomfortable. But I see Github has
>> a sponsorship thing, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sign up!
>
> Good! It would be even better if you had a more free-software-friendly
> mechanism of donation. Maybe Liberapay? By the way, if you could
> entirely move away from GitHub, some of us would be happier.

Oh, Liberapay looks good! I realized GitHub Sponsors only lets you set
up recurring monthly payments, which doesn't seem very likely. Anyway,
I have no real expectations.

I have an account at SourceHut, which is very FOSS-friendly, but so far
haven't put any repos there, maybe I could consider moving.

Eric