Subject: Re: bug#38993: 26.3; EBDB saves the database on Emacs exit even when told not to

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 10:28:23 -0300

Em [2020-01-07 ter 10:42:55-0800], Eric Abrahamsen escreveu:

> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In principle I want consistency with the rest of GNU Emacs.  IIRC,
>> Emacs generally does not overwrite without asking.  There is the
>> auto-save functionality, but it saves to *separate* files.
>
> Yes, I think consistency is the best thing to aim for.

Good.

> FWIW, what we're talking about isn't auto-save

I know.  I only mentioned Emacs auto-save as a generic example that
(IIRC) Emacs never overwrites user data without asking, regardless of
mechanism.

Oh, and in my quick testing in Spacemacs (this time I didn't start a
minimally customized instance), setting `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil
(either with `setq' or with Customize) has no effect if EBDB is already
open.  I believe it would be better to change this behavior.  One reason
is that it is counter-intuitive.  Another is that the user might open
EBDB, make some changes and then realize she does not want to persist
them.

> I'm glad it's useful to you!  I hadn't really thought about donations,
> I suppose it makes me a tiny bit uncomfortable.  But I see Github has
> a sponsorship thing, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sign up!

Good!  It would be even better if you had a more free-software-friendly
mechanism of donation.  Maybe Liberapay?  By the way, if you could
entirely move away from GitHub, some of us would be happier.

Regards
-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]