Subject: bug#38992: 27.0.60; when enabled, fido-mode seems to break vc-git-grep

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 00:42:16 +0300

On 20.01.2020 17:58, João Távora wrote:
> I can't tell right now. But do you need to remove it to add the message
> or is this a refactoring that you are thinking about?  Maybe do both
> changes separately so that either can be reverted individually? Or
> are they somehow connected?

It's a "remove this call that exists for no reason I can think of" kind 
of thing. Also, if we don't use it, we won't need the progn.

IIUC, what minibuffer-force-complete does here is expand the input 
wherever possible. But if that results in an input that has no matches 
(and that should be the only reason for completion--complete-and-exit, 
called subsequently, to fail), why even do that?

And if completion--complete-and-exit succeeds, the 
minibuffer-force-complete shouldn't matter at all.

So a second opinion would help.

BTW, looks like this change will leave 
minibuffer-force-complete-and-exit entirely unused.

 > I *think* the "[Matched]" message is shown.

Right. In that case, the change should be easy. OTOH, I'm not sure we 
should display this very prominent reminder whenever the user has a 
single match. Someone should try it on and experiment.