Subject: Re: bug#38992: 27.0.60; when enabled, fido-mode seems to break vc-git-grep

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 14:26:34 +0000

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:17 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Seems to work fine in this situation. Starting with 'emacs -Q', no extra
> config on my part except 'M-x fido-mode'.

This must have changed recently because I

emacs -Q
M-x fido-mode
C-x C-f
M-x ---> error message

On GNU Emacs 27.0.60 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2020-02-01

> Or to feel that I can't rely on REQUIRE-MATCH when calling
> completing-read in a program.

Well, a sufficient level of paranoia will always give you that
feeling :-) , given that you yourself reported that that M-x thing
works.  My advice is: move along, it's OK, Emacs's users aren't
(all) doofuses. :-)

And thanks for the patches.  I expect to be using much more
RET now (which is a good thing), fallback to M-j if it doesn't work
and fallback to C-u M-j if I'm reaaally in a tight spot.

-- 
João Távora