Subject: Re: bug#38992: 27.0.60; when enabled, fido-mode seems to break vc-git-grep

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 12:30:33 +0000

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:14 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 05.03.2020 13:51, João Távora wrote:
> > Sure, but before that happens, users get annoyed :-) so let's provide
> > an "out" for them.
>
> And when they use that "out", and the program behaves randomly, they'll
> get annoyed, file confusing bug reports, etc. Why would we want that?
>

Any of those things are better than the feeling of being trapped in a
UI.

And anyway, they're really unlikely, who would use the
finger-contorting atomic option without knowing exactly what they're
doing?  We can even add a warning message, or even a prompt, if
you feel so strongly. If still object, at least I would mention in the
keymap's docstring how to add such a thing.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind where it would help?

Well, as I said I do remember binding M-j to it for this specific
circumstance, but that's before your fix (which I am still to try out).

João