Subject: bug#38992: 27.0.60; when enabled, fido-mode seems to break vc-git-grep

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 08:01:40 +0000

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:01 AM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 05.03.2020 0:44, João Távora wrote:
> > fido-mode doesn't change icomplete-mode. It shouldn't, at least.
> > It just uses it as a library.  And surely if it's a bug in fido-mode,
> > surely it needs fixing _there_  and not elsewhere.  But it seems
> > not be the case (at least with your latest proposal), so you have
> > me confused.
>
> Since the problem isn't triggered by icomplete-mode, but is triggered by
> fido-mode, it seems the latter binds some commands that are not a great
> fit for it.

Sure fido-mode binds commands that it needs to bind for it
to be useful, the choice for M-j was the closest thing available at
the time. If you've made a better one since, that's great.

>  ido-mode users, however, like to use RET for arbitrary inputs as well.

Let's first _not_ change the current fido-mode UI ok? At least
for now.  Later (even before Emacs 27) could be fine.

> The previous patches are attached to the older message. Not too hard to
> find on the debbugs bug page.

I'm just looking for the patch to minibuffer.el that I remember you
saying you were preparing. (I'm sorry, but I don't have time right now to
find it in this very poor Gmail UI).  I've pulled from your branch in Git
and yours patches look fine, but really I don't understand the minibuffer
one anymore at this kind of distance.  But it it's the one we talked about
when I did understand it, I'm all for it.

> If I were to classify, the first one fixes a "UI deficiency", but the
> second one fixes a bug.

Don't know which is which, but classifiers will classify :-)

> I've pushed the updated (more limited) patches to the 'fido-mode-fix'
> branch.

Yes, thanks!

João