Subject: bug#38992: 27.0.60; when enabled, fido-mode seems to break vc-git-grep

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 14:27:47 +0000

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is the problem this attempts to fix really serious?  Or is it just a
> minor inconvenience?  It isn't the original one that started the bug
> report, right?
>

If I can shed some light on this: you're right, it's not.

With the original problem fixed, Dmitry came to what can be seen as a
UI deficiency in fido-mode.  After analysing this with Stefan, we arrived
at the conclusion that it was actually a problem in some longstanding
minibuffer.el workings.  At some point, a new variable was proposed,
but I think Dmitry and Stefan then agreed that co-opting an existing
variable wouldn't have a great impact.

Maybe, Dmitry, we could revert to the earlier proposal with the new
variable and somehow deprecate/discourage use of the one you're
trying to change?  That should be safe and bring all the benefits of
your change, right?

João

-- 
João Távora