Subject: bug#38956: closed (Re: bug#38956: This issue hasn’thappened for a while)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 00:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#38956: 28.0.50; run-with-idle-timer (maybe) panic randomly on mac

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38956: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38956
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38956: This issue hasn’t happened for a while
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: ccQ <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 01:52:48 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

ccQ <[email-masked]> writes:

> This issue hasn’t happened for a while. Maybe Apple fix it. I think
> it can be closed.

Thanks, so I'm therefore closing it now.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 28.0.50; run-with-idle-timer (maybe) panic randomly on mac
From: changqi chen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 15:31:05 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use run-with-idle-timer to make a auto GC timer in my init file. However,
on macOS 10.15.2, my emacs randomly panic for no reason. I guess it make
be some problem happens in auto GC configuration. Then I comment those
block of code, my emacs doesn't panic after I comment those block of
code.

Here is my init configuration of GC:

```lisp

(defmacro k-time (&rest body)
  "Measure and return the time it takes evaluating BODY.”
  `(let ((time (current-time)))
     ,@body
     (float-time (time-since time))))

;; Set garbage collection threshold to 1GB.
(setq gc-cons-threshold 1000000000)

;; When idle for 15sec run the GC no matter what.
(defvar k-gc-timer
 (run-with-idle-timer 60 t
 (lambda ()
 (message "Garbage Collector has run for %.06fsec”
 (k-time (garbage-collect))))))
```

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.2.0, NS appkit-1894.20 Version 10.15.2 (Build 19C57))
of 2020-01-04 built on ccQ-rMBP.local
Repository revision: cd7b1e3eeb48f7a0123968d3f33e8d96973ab2b6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description: Mac OS X 10.15.2

Recent messages:
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets (but no snippets found).
ad-handle-definition: ‘er/expand-region’ got redefined
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully.
Turning on magit-auto-revert-mode...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Configured features:
RSVG GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS
MODULES THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
paredit-mode: t
helm-gtags-mode: t
pyvenv-mode: t
TeX-PDF-mode: t
helm-mode: t
helm-autoresize-mode: t
helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
global-magit-file-mode: t
magit-auto-revert-mode: t
global-git-commit-mode: t
async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
google-this-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
yas-global-mode: t
yas-minor-mode: t
global-flycheck-mode: t
flycheck-mode: t
global-auto-complete-mode: t
auto-complete-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
display-line-numbers-mode: t
global-hl-line-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail winner helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info paredit helm-gtags pulse init-lsp
init-groovy groovy-mode init-elm init-gc init-coq init-ocaml ocamlformat
init-yaml yaml-mode init-rust racer rust-mode init-js init-web-n-php
ac-php ac-php-core xcscope f php-mode mode-local speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe cc-langs cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs php-face
php php-project web-mode-expansions web-mode disp-table init-typescript
init-haskell init-swift init-golang init-python py-autopep8
highlight-indentation company-capf company pcase help-fns radix-tree
elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor python-el-fgallina-expansions python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ido grep files-x init-markdown markdown-mode
color init-org init-dash init-tex tex-mik tex init-helm helm-swoop
helm-mode helm-files helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-config
helm-easymenu helm helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib
init-shell init-lisp slime etags fileloop generator xref project
arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp hyperspec init-treemacs
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit ace-window avy magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode
git-commit transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async shell pcomplete server google-this url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap delsel expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom
highlight-symbol multiple-cursors mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode
mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more
mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core rect cl-extra
yasnippet advice flymake-proc flymake compile comint ring warnings
thingatpt flycheck ansi-color find-func help-mode rx dash
auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core monokai-theme
paren display-line-numbers hl-line finder-inf tex-site proof-site
proof-autoloads slime-autoloads info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 545075 84351)
(symbols 48 42032 48)
(strings 32 181833 11452)
(string-bytes 1 5531802)
(vectors 16 66217)
(vector-slots 8 790875 81310)
(floats 8 296 87)
(intervals 56 412 423)
(buffers 1000 13))