Subject: bug#38928: bad docstrings for image-dired rotate commands

From: Christophe Deleuze <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 23:10:55 +0100

* bug description

The docstrings for commands image-dired-rotate-thumbnail-left and
image-dired-rotate-thumbnail-right say that:

"The result of the rotation is displayed in the image display area
and a confirmation is needed before the original image files is
overwritten.  This confirmation can be turned off using
`image-dired-rotate-original-ask-before-overwrite'."

This is not the case, thumbnail rotation is performed immediately (and
rightly so, as the thumbnail has been generated by image-dired and does
not need such caution).

On the contrary, such a display of rotation result and ask of
confirmation is performed by commands image-dired-rotate-original-left
and image-dired-rotate-original-right that rotate the *original*
pictures.  But this is not mentionned in their docstrings.

* fix description

The above mentionned text should be moved from the docstrings of
image-dired-rotate-thumbnail-left/right to those of
image-dired-rotate-original-left/right.  This is a very simple
modification, affecting only the docstrings.

* changelog

Fix docstrings for image-dired rotate commands

* patch

Here's a patch generated from commit
9bbf17539826a040eda45e88aabd358ed44fabf7 by git format-patch.

-------
>From 8f1ccbe6039affb1ee404cb71c6a8646a99fab5b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Christophe Deleuze <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 22:38:53 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix docstrings for image-dired rotate commands

---
 lisp/image-dired.el | 24 ++++++++++++------------
 1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/image-dired.el b/lisp/image-dired.el
index 7774b82d51..768e941490 100644
--- a/lisp/image-dired.el
+++ b/lisp/image-dired.el
@@ -1980,20 +1980,12 @@ image-dired-rotate-thumbnail
       (clear-image-cache thumb))))
 
 (defun image-dired-rotate-thumbnail-left ()
-  "Rotate thumbnail left (counter clockwise) 90 degrees.
-The result of the rotation is displayed in the image display area
-and a confirmation is needed before the original image files is
-overwritten.  This confirmation can be turned off using
-`image-dired-rotate-original-ask-before-overwrite'."
+  "Rotate thumbnail left (counter clockwise) 90 degrees."
   (interactive)
   (image-dired-rotate-thumbnail "270"))
 
 (defun image-dired-rotate-thumbnail-right ()
-  "Rotate thumbnail counter right (clockwise) 90 degrees.
-The result of the rotation is displayed in the image display area
-and a confirmation is needed before the original image files is
-overwritten.  This confirmation can be turned off using
-`image-dired-rotate-original-ask-before-overwrite'."
+  "Rotate thumbnail counter right (clockwise) 90 degrees."
   (interactive)
   (image-dired-rotate-thumbnail "90"))
 
@@ -2035,12 +2027,20 @@ image-dired-rotate-original
           (image-dired-display-image file))))))
 
 (defun image-dired-rotate-original-left ()
-  "Rotate original image left (counter clockwise) 90 degrees."
+  "Rotate original image left (counter clockwise) 90 degrees.
+The result of the rotation is displayed in the image display area
+and a confirmation is needed before the original image files is
+overwritten.  This confirmation can be turned off using
+`image-dired-rotate-original-ask-before-overwrite'."
   (interactive)
   (image-dired-rotate-original "270"))
 
 (defun image-dired-rotate-original-right ()
-  "Rotate original image right (clockwise) 90 degrees."
+  "Rotate original image right (clockwise) 90 degrees.
+The result of the rotation is displayed in the image display area
+and a confirmation is needed before the original image files is
+overwritten.  This confirmation can be turned off using
+`image-dired-rotate-original-ask-before-overwrite'."
   (interactive)
   (image-dired-rotate-original "90"))
 
-- 
2.20.1