Subject: Re: bug#38918: 26.3; EBDB fails to edit (add) tags

From: Deus Max <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:20:48 +0200

On Tue, Jan 14 2020, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>
>> Besides, it seems that the function `org--tag-add-to-alist' does not
>> exist on the Org Mode version (9.1 IIRC) that comes with Emacs 26.3.  I
>> think you should document that the Org Tags functionality depends on
>> recent Org Mode.  Also, maybe (I don't know if this would be worth your
>> time) EBDB could provide a clear error message when the user attempts to
>> use that functionality on an old Org Mode.  Currently it lets Emacs
>> complain that the symbol's value as a function is void.
>
> This is a bigger problem -- I'm committed to supporting Emacs 25. I
> think I'll just write my own function (read: copy and paste Org's) to do
> the same thing.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Hi Eric,

It's a bad practice to duplicate functions from other packages. At least
maybe you could enclose the definition in a (eval-after-load 'org ...)
construct and provide org--tag-add-to-alist only if it is not defined.
That way you will also be able to provide a message recommending an
upgrade to a more recent org-mode.

Deus