Subject: bug#38918: 26.3; EBDB fails to edit (add) tags

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 08:50:23 -0300

Em [2020-01-12 dom 09:10:50-0800], Eric Abrahamsen escreveu:

> Would you eval this and see if it solves your Org tags issue?
> [...]

This does make Org Tags work with EBDB 0.6.11, but not on EBDB 0.6.12.
On EBDB 6.12, with a minimally customized GNU Emacs instance the
following occurs:

1. I open the minimally customized GNU Emacs instance.
2. I eval (require 'ebdb-org)
3. I eval the code snippet you provided
4. At some moment I set org-tag-alist (note: I actually I don't remember
   if I set it after steps 2-3 or before)
5. Invoke M-x ebdb <RET><RET>
6. I Try to add Org Tags to a record.  My Org tags are offered for
   completion, but when I choose one, then EBDB seems to ignore my
   answer; it then asks for a "regular" tag without offering the Org
   tags for completion.

Besides, it seems that the function `org--tag-add-to-alist' does not
exist on the Org Mode version (9.1 IIRC) that comes with Emacs 26.3.  I
think you should document that the Org Tags functionality depends on
recent Org Mode.  Also, maybe (I don't know if this would be worth your
time) EBDB could provide a clear error message when the user attempts to
use that functionality on an old Org Mode.  Currently it lets Emacs
complain that the symbol's value as a function is void.

-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]