Subject: Re: bug#38918: 26.3; EBDB fails to edit (add) tags

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:49:44 -0800

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi.  What is the procedure to make EBDB work with Org Tags?  I tried
> opening a minimally customized Emacs (with the attached EBDB database in
> .emacs.d/) and:
>
> 1. Set org-tag-alist
> 2. Execute the following three requires:
>    (require 'org)
>    (require 'ebdb)
>    (require 'ebdb-org)
> 3. Invoke M-x ebdb <RET> <RET>
> 4. Insert a new field by hitting "i"
> 5. Choose org tags as the field type
> 6. My Org tags are not offered for completion

Also, it was a mistake on my part to define a separate field class for
Org tags, vs "regular" non-Org tags. It's enough just to have the
ebdb-org.el define new functions for dealing with the regular tag field
class, there's no need to have a separate class.

In the next week I'm going to add a backwards-compatibility hack so that
creating a new ebdb-org-field-tags instance actually returns an instance
of ebdb-field-tags. Just FYI -- you might as well just use a regular
ebdb-field-tags field, it will get Org integration soon.

Eric