Subject: Can't change profile of Bluetooth headphones

From: Matthew Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 13:30:12 +0000

Hi Guix!

I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I I've paired and connected to
my guix machine.  They show up in the 'configuration' tab of
pavucontrol.  By default the profile is 'Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP)'.

When I try and change the profile to 'High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink)'
this fails and the headphones are stuck in the HSP profile.

I see the following line in `/var/log/debug' when attempting to switch
profiles:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
W: [pulseaudio] module-bluez5-device.c: Refused to switch profile to a2dp_sink: Not connected
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It looks as though this may have something to do with pulseaudio running
as the GDM user: [0].  My current work-around for this is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ sudo killall pulseaudio && pulseaudio
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

to make pulseaudio run as my user.

[0]: https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser/a2dp#Refused_to_switch_profile_to_a2dp_sink:_Not_connected
-- 
Matt