Subject: bug#3889 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#3889: 23.1.50; [PATCH] Increase blink-matching-paren-distance)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 02:40:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3889: 23.1.50; [PATCH] Increase blink-matching-paren-distance

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3889: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3889
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3889: 23.1.50; [PATCH] Increase blink-matching-paren-distance
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:35:50 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Attached is a patch which doubles this to 50kb, as this should be fine for
>> modern machines.
>
> 100kB should be fine, indeed.

So increased.

Subject: 23.1.50; [PATCH] Increase blink-matching-paren-distance
From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:49:46 -0700

A user came into #emacs today complaining that his paren matching was  
not working with a large file, and that font-locking broke as a result.

I found that this is controlled by blink-matching-paren-distance,  
which was increased to 25kb around 1997.

Attached is a patch which doubles this to 50kb, as this should be fine  
for modern machines. I think that we should seriously consider setting  
the default to nil, but this seems like a more conservative approach  
to the matter.