Subject: Re: bug#3888: Some variables get the wrong, platform-specific, documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:59:52 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:33:28 -0400
> 
> As a work-around, I changed the affected doc-strings so that the
> different versions all say the same thing.  Eli, could you check if this
> works OK on Windows?

It works on Windows, thanks.

However:

 . the doc string of x-select-enable-clipboard:

     (defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard t
       "Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
    -This is in addition to the primary selection."
    +This is in addition to, but in preference to, the primary selection."

   should IMO say that on Windows this is the default, and perhaps
   also that primary selection is not accessible to other programs
   there.

 . the doc string of x-colors:

     (defvar x-colors (mapcar 'car msdos-color-values)
    -  "The list of colors available on a PC display under MS-DOS.")
    +  "List of available colors for graphical frames.
    +For X, the list comes from the `rgb.txt' file,v 10.41 94/02/20.
    +For Nextstep, this is a list of non-PANTONE colors returned by
    +the operating system.")

   incorrectly says that these are colors for graphical frames, which
   the MS-DOS display isn't.

 . you didn't add doc strings to x-set-selection and x-get-selection
   on w32-fns.el -- was that on purpose?