Subject: bug#38859: 26.1: diary-lib: diary-fancy-display

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 18:37:25 -0500

Summary: diary-fancy-display seems not to work.

The original version of this report, reproduced below, received no
response when posted to the emacs-devel mailing list four days ago, so
I'm submitting it to this channel so it doesn't get 'lost'.

----- Forwarded message from Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 14:12:34 -0500
From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs-Devel List <[email-masked]>
Subject: emacs calendar: diary-fancy-display
User-Agent: NeoMutt/20180716

Clarity for calendar `diary-fancy-display'

ref: [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sexp-Diary-Entries.html
     [2] other documentation

emacs version: GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
Version 3.24.5) of 2019-09-22, modified by Debian

I'm not sure whether I'm encountering a bug, or just can't understand
the documentation for this feature, or have something configured
improperly.

I have variable `diary-display-function' set to 'diary-fancy-display,
and was expecting that from a Saturday calendar entry, keying the
sequence `i-h-d' (M-x diary-hebrew-insert-entry) would list
hebrew-specific stuff like any current holiday or parasha or
candle-times. All I'm getting is a Hebrew date name. My specific test
case was for gregorian date 12-28-2019.

My reading of ref [1] is that I might need to explicitly insert
some code into the 'diary file'. The diary file seems to be
~/.emacs.d/diary, so I tried inserting the following

  #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  &%%(diary-hebrew-parasha)
  &%%(diary-hebrew-rosh-hodesh)
  &%%(diary-hebrew-sabbath-candles)
  &%%(diary-sunrise-sunset)
  #+END_EXAMPLE

first with and later without the leading ampersands, both times to no
effect. I've read through the docstring for function
`diary-list-sexp-entries', but it hasn't been extra helpful.

I have the following hook definitions set:

 (add-hook 'diary-nongregorian-listing-hook 'diary-hebrew-list-entries)
 (add-hook 'diary-nongregorian-marking-hook 'diary-hebrew-mark-entries)
 (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'diary-sort-entries t)

The variable `diary-fancy-display-mode-hook' is set to nil.

Finally, what might be a bug is that when killing a calender buffer,
the associated *Holidays* buffer remains. IMNSHO it should be killed
along with the calendar buffer.

Any ideas?

----- End forwarded message -----

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0