Subject: [bug#38846] [PATCH 4/4] DRAFT doc: Add a cooption policy for commit access.

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 18:19:01 -0600

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]>
writes:

> Probably just me, but this glosses over maintainer approval just a bit
> too deftly, and that even with 3 signed referrals commit access isn't
> guaranteed, just extremely likely.
>
> Unless that will actually change, I think we should briefly mention it
> as well.  People react worse to ‘let's try again later’ when they
> think they've already passed.  Understandably so.

Hi Tobias,

This is definitely not just you. I felt similarly, as per a previous
email on the matter where I suggested that it be 3 commiters and 1
maintainer. But that process turned out to be redundant, if not
completely superfluous by Ricardo's mention of how the process is likely
to change in the future with a different integration model.

Regardless, I hear your point. I also think that getting refused after
achieving three referrals is a hard point. I think it should be
documented clearly that the mainters have the final say.

Additionally, and this is just a point for my part, depending on what
kind of merit we are taking for credence in a committer making a
referral, should we only consider committers who have worked closely
with the person requesting commit access, or is somebody who has
reviewed and seen their patches in passing also a viable subject?

For example, I have been asked a few times by people to push patches for
them over IRC, but their patches were unrelated to software I use /
would use / know how to approach (examples being GNOME). So, I kindly
refused to push their patch citing that I do not feel comfortable in
knowledge to understand the ramifications of their
patches. Hypothetically, if such a person approached me in the future
and asked for a commit access referral, since I had not worked closely
with them what kind of weight would be referral hold?

I hope this makes sense. Maybe I am being overly nitpicky, I just really
like clarity. :)

-- 
Brett M. Gilio
GNU Guix, Contributor | GNU Project, Webmaster
[DFC0 C7F7 9EE6 0CA7 AE55 5E19 6722 43C4 A03F 0EEE]
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>