Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Move 'HACKING' to the manual, and a proposal for commit access

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 17:29:45 +0100

Hello Guix!

Happy new year, merry 12 nivôse, or whatever celebration is
appropriate for you!  :-)

These patches do three things:

  1. Move text from ‘HACKING’ to ‘doc/contributing.texi’.

  2. Encourage patch review for committers.

  3. Add a tentative policy for granting commit access (the last
     patch of this series).

I expect #1 and #2 to be uncontroversial, but I’d like feedback on #3!

So far, we’ve been giving commit access in a very ad-hoc fashion.
Often it was Ricardo or myself who ended up taking care of that,
even though other people have admin rights on Savannah to add/remove
members.

We briefly discussed it among maintainers after the maintainer
collective expanded, and it seems to me that perhaps now is a good time
to formalize things a bit—to clarify what contributors may expect and
to increase transparency.  Hence this proposal of a simple co-optation
policy.

As you know, Chris Baines has been working towards automated testing
of submitted patches.  One of the goals is to allow part of the
QA to be automated, such that, eventually, approved merges could be
automated.  In that spirit, we would have an incentive to not add more
committers (probably also a good thing security-wise).  That’s why I
added a note on this topic.

What do people think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (4):
  doc: Add "Tracking Bugs and Patches" section.
  doc: Move "Commit Access" section from 'HACKING' to the manual.
  doc: Encourage patch review.
  DRAFT doc: Add a cooption policy for commit access.

 HACKING               |  58 +-------------
 doc/contributing.texi | 171 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 doc/guix.texi         |   2 +-
 3 files changed, 168 insertions(+), 63 deletions(-)

-- 
2.24.1