Subject: [bug#38846] [PATCH 4/4] DRAFT doc: Add a cooption policy for commit access.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 17:34:46 +0100

DRAFT: Subject to discussion!

* doc/contributing.texi (Commit Access): Draft a cooptation policy.
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 48 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 46 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index 74b4718eb3..6e2cc1a369 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -1099,8 +1099,52 @@ this nifty tool!
 
 @cindex commit access, for developers
 For frequent contributors, having write access to the repository is
-convenient.  When you deem it necessary, feel free to ask for it on the
-mailing list.  When you get commit access, please make sure to follow
+convenient.  When you deem it necessary, consider applying for commit
+access by following these steps:
+
+@enumerate
+@item
+Find three committers who would vouch for you, emailing a signed
+statement to @email{guix-maintainers@@gnu.org} (a private alias for the
+collective of maintainers).  You can view the list of committers at
+@url{https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=guix}.
+
+Committers are expected to have had some interactions with you as a
+contributor and to be able to judge whether you are sufficiently
+familiar with the project's practices.  It is @emph{not} a judgment on
+the quality of your work, so a refusal should rather be interpreted as
+``let's try again later''.
+
+@item
+Send @email{guix-maintainers@@gnu.org} a signed message stating your
+intent, listing the three committers who support your application, and
+giving the fingerprint of the OpenPGP key you will use to sign commits
+(see below).
+
+@item
+Once you've been given access, please send a message to
+@email{guix-devel@@gnu.org} to say so, again signed with the OpenPGP key
+you will use to sign commits.  That way, everyone can notice and ensure
+you control that OpenPGP key.
+
+@c TODO: Add note about adding the fingerprint to the list of authorized
+@c keys once that has stabilized.
+
+@item
+Make sure to read the rest of this section and... profit!
+@end enumerate
+
+@quotation Note
+Maintainers are happy to give commit access to people who have been
+contributing for some time and have a track record---don't be shy and
+don't underestimate your work!
+
+However, note that the project is working towards a more automated patch
+review and merging system, which, as a consequence, may lead us to have
+fewer people with commit access to the main repository.  Stay tuned!
+@end quotation
+
+When you get commit access, please make sure to follow
 the policy below (discussions of the policy can take place on
 @email{guix-devel@@gnu.org}).
 
-- 
2.24.1