Subject: bug#38837: 26.3.50; Segmentation Fault with Desktop Save Mode (emacs 26.3.50)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 09:56:49 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 06:12:58 +0000
> 
> It seems to be fixed in 27.

OK, so I'm closing the bug.

> Any idea how I can avoid the problem in a stable release, such as 26
> or 25?

Apply this patch:

--- lisp/frameset.el~
+++ lisp/frameset.el
@@ -456,6 +456,9 @@ frameset-persistent-filter-alist
      (client                      . :never)
      (delete-before               . :never)
      (font                        . frameset-filter-font-param)
+     ;; Don't save font-backend because we cannot guarantee the new
+     ;; session will support the saved backend anyway.  (Bug#38442)
+     (font-backend                . :never)
      (foreground-color            . frameset-filter-sanitize-color)
      (frameset--text-pixel-height . :save)
      (frameset--text-pixel-width  . :save)

Then start "emacs -Q", edit your .emacs.desktop file, and remove from
it all the sub-lists of this form:

  (font-backend SOMETHING...)

Regardless of what you see instead of "SOMETHING..." in your
.emacs.desktop, remove all such sub-lists, including their
parentheses.  Save .emacs.desktop, then restart Emacs as usual.