Subject: Re: bug#38818: Dired: mention deleting buffers, not just windows

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 02:11:31 +0800

>>>>> "mr" == martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:
>> At (info "(emacs) Dired Enter")
>> 
>> Typing ‘q’ (‘quit-window’) buries the Dired buffer, and deletes its
>> window if the window was created just for that buffer.
>> 
>> Add:
>> 
>> To delete the buffer instead of just burying it, type "1 q".

mr> We can add that typing "q" with a prefix argument will kill the
mr> buffer,

Yes please do. As in (info "(elisp) Quitting Windows"). Which you might
as well add a link to...

mr> but I'm afraid we have no facility supplying ...

>> To make deleting the buffer the default instead of burying it, use
>> (setq ... ...)

mr> ... that.

OK, but there really should be a way. Else heavy dired users commonly
end up with plenty of old buffers by the end of the day.

(Note that if they toggled the default to now kill, instead of burying
the buffer, they would need a way to make an exception. E.g., the argument
would then instead bury, not kill.)

(Also let's say they have one or two dired buffers they really do want
to keep around, despite their "q" hitting habit.

Well then perhaps there should be a "dired-mark-this-buffer-as-q-kill-proof"
command... Or maybe even a regexp list that the user can put in their
.emacs file.)