Subject: Re: [bug#38809] [PATCH] bootloader: grub: Add resolution override.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 17:07:24 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic writes:

Hi Danny,

>> With this patch I finally have a readable GRUB menu.  I am not sure
>> about the name and semantics of `resolution': Better to use `gfxmode',
>> and/or use a list of strings '("1024x768x32" "auto"), ... WDYT?
>
> Especially with HiDPI, the word "resolution" is ambiguous.
>
> Also, gfxmode values are not standardized (f.e. u-boot would not know what
> to do with them), so using a non-grub-specific key doesn't bring us anything.

That's another good argument; thank you for chiming in!  I think we all
agree now.  I sent an updated patch using `gfxmode' in another mail.

> I much prefer lists instead of one string.  But grub apparently has "," and
> ";" as separators--presumably with the same meaning?

Yes, that was also Tobias' wish, so we now have it as a list too.

> It also has the special value "keep" as possible first item.
>
> In view of this complication it's maybe better not to use lists.

Hmm, yes that's why I had some doubts too.  After Tobias' comment I now
chose to use a list, and the example now says

   (gfxmode '("1024x786x32" "auto"))

I hope that people can imagine prepending "keep"?

Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com