Subject: Re: [bug#38803] [PATCH] gnu: elfutils: Update to 0.178

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 15:31:29 +0100

Mark Wielaard <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 2020-02-06 at 12:04 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> BTW. Upstream is now debating some of the dependencies for other
>> distros that have bootstrapping requirements too: 
>> https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25509
>
> It would be nice if someone could comment on that bug who better
> understands the bootstrap requirements for the guix toolchain. Note
> that this is relevant to other packages too because we are very eager
> to improve the debugability of the whole toolchain and so have
> submitted patches to various core packages to support debuginfod-client 
> like binutils, gdb, annocheck, etc. Which means they all eventually
> depend on everything libcurl depends on:
> https://sourceware.org/elfutils/Debuginfod.html

I think that the Guix toolchain (the one used in package builds) should
stay the same (no debuginfod support), and that we should add
debuginfod-enabled variants that gets included when users install
'binutils' or 'gcc-toolchain' manually.  How does that sound?

So our only concern will be how to use Elfutils' libelf.so for GCC,
which should be straightforward with an "elfutils-minimal" variant that
does not pull in the debuginfo dependencies.