Subject: Re: [bug#38803] [PATCH] gnu: elfutils: Update to 0.178

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:36:40 +0100

Mark Wielaard <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For the 0.178 update, perhaps we can add the new version as a separate
>> variable until we figure out how to isolate libelf.so?  That can be done
>> on the 'master' branch as long as we don't change the current 'elfutils'
>> package.
>
> I am not sure I completely understand your proposal. When you say
> 'separate variable', Do you mean we would (define-public elfutils-0.178 
> ...)?

Yes.  See e.g 'gdb/next' or 'help2man/latest' for some examples of
inheritance.

> And changing the default libelf implementation should be a separate bug
> I assume.

Indeed.  I suggest we defer that until we have 0.178+ in properly.

> BTW. Upstream is now debating some of the dependencies for other
> distros that have bootstrapping requirements too: 
> https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25509

Good to know we're not alone!