Subject: Re: [bug#38803] [PATCH] gnu: elfutils: Update to 0.178

From: Mark Wielaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:04:37 +0100

Hi Marius,

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 21:41 +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Mark Wielaard <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > OK, OK. Lets see if I can at least get the patch that does only update
> > the descriptions correct. New version attached.
> 
> Thanks!  I fixed the comment typo and committed.  The new description
> should show up on <https://guix.gnu.org/packages/E/page/3/> shortly.  :-)

Awesome. Looks good. Thanks.

> Note that I had to convert the patch from ISO-8859-14 to UTF-8 in order
> to make git accept it:
> 
> $ iconv -f ISO-8859-14 -t UTF-8 0001-gnu-elfutils-Update-synopsis-and-description.patch | git am -s
> 
> Not sure what happened, perhaps it got mangled by your MUA?

That is indeed really odd. I definitely didn't want to encode any
Celtic languages (I do speak Dutch, but not Gaelic or Breton).

> For the 0.178 update, perhaps we can add the new version as a separate
> variable until we figure out how to isolate libelf.so?  That can be done
> on the 'master' branch as long as we don't change the current 'elfutils'
> package.

I am not sure I completely understand your proposal. When you say
'separate variable', Do you mean we would (define-public elfutils-0.178 
...)?

And changing the default libelf implementation should be a separate bug
I assume.

BTW. Upstream is now debating some of the dependencies for other
distros that have bootstrapping requirements too: 
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25509

Cheers,

Mark