Subject: Re: bug#38802: new data

From: Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:57:16 -0700

i am limited in computer use so i hope this helps.

sequence:

  - i ran a command in shell mode
  - that command issued a password prompt
  - that prompt was recognized by comint-password-prompt-regexp
    - it appeared in minibuffer

i surmise that type-break did something around that time due to its
keystroke or time count, causing bug.  to continue:

  - i flailed around not wanting to lose data or state
  - keypresses not recognized
  - this is the usual bug state
  - message buffer shows all this for you

then, fortune intervened.  type-break prompted for whatever reason.  i
interacted with the type-break prompt.

note that i was ABLE to interact with it.  it had magical bug-evading
powers.  nothing else in emacs that i know of does.

e.g. it was not in a state where self-insert-command was undefined
when i interacted with it.

i indicated to type-break to not continue the break.  it complied.

then emacs operated normally.  that is the best i can do to try to rephrase.

idk if type-break tried to issue a first prompt.  but my guess is that
the temporally nearby combination of password entry state and an
action that type-break took [e.g. issuing a prompt or perhaps trying
to do so] caused the bug.

[never mind the stuff about type-break warnings.  i was trying to
speculate why there would be no indication of what type-break did in
the messags buffer but that speculation doesn't really make sense so
you can ignore it.]

On 8/14/22, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [20:37] Take a break from typing now? (y or n) y
>> Press any key to resume from typing break.
>> [20:38] You really ought to rest 14 minutes more.  Continue break? (y or
>> n) n
>>
>> it seems possible type-break activated at prompt, although i don't
>> remember what it could have done as i don't have it issue warnings.
>> it then fixed the bug by prompting me.  i likely said y, then n n.
>>
>> it seems possible that it would also fix if you did nothing until
>> type-break prompted.  thanks all.
>
> Sorry; I don't understand what you mean here.  Can you rephrase?
>
>

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com