Subject: bug#38802: 24.5; emacs unusable, unpredictably, with "k is undefined" for every key

From: Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 18:20:15 -0700

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.5; emacs unusable in minibuffer, unpredictably, with "k is
undefined" for every key
--text follows this line--
I have long had a bug where everything I type says "k is undefined",
where k stands for any key including ESC and C-g.  this occurs
randomly.

It is impossible to get out of this mode, unless you can figure out
some SIGUSR1 voodoo.  Except once, I think type-break activating got
me out of the mode.  And once I got
out by just coming back to it after a half hour or something.

I suspect maybe type-break also causes the bug, if certain conditions
obtain.  I am not sure.  But it is the only timer-based thing I can
think of.

I believe it occurs when I am in the minibuffer.  Perhaps only at a
password prompt.

I don't know if this bug report is useful.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12 on hullmann, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch)