Subject: Re: bug#38796: 26.3; `view-lossage': Use a variable for the lossage limit

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 19:30:15 +0200

severity 38796 wishlist
thanks

> Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 09:04:54 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> This report is a follow-up to this emacs-devel thread:
> 
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-12/msg00678.html
> 
> and to the older thread that it references:
> 
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-03/msg01012.html
> 
> Please use a variable for the limit of how many characters to use for
> recording lossage.
> 
> Doing that will give users (and Lisp code) control over the limit.
> Having a limit that is hard-coded in C is not user-friendly - it's even
> unemacsy.

It's a constant size of a vector that records the keys in a cyclical
fashion.  So it isn't enough to expose the value to Lisp; one must
also write code that reallocates the vector when the value changes,
and copies the keystrokes from the old to the new vector in the
correct order.  Not rocket science, but still.

Patches are welcome.