Subject: bug#38796: 26.3; `view-lossage': Use a variable for the lossage limit

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 23:24:02 +0200

Tino Calancha <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I agree that disabling should not necessarily be implemented by
>> "abusing" the max-lossage setting.
> Yeah, it was appealing to me at first look: the code was offering
> another feature for free!
> After your comments I rethink about it and become less excited: it
> always posible that we might be hit back in other parts of the code
> if they assume a 'sensible large enough' value.

I thought it sounded quite natural to use the same mechanism to switch
lossage logging off.  `(update-lossage-size 0)' seems like a natural
thing to do to have no lossage.

>     Users can still safely modify the lossage limit with the
>     command `update-lossage-size'.  For convenience, add
>     a function `lossage-size' to return the current limit.

Hm...  other functions use the convention of having a zero-parameter
function return the data, and having a parameter to set it.  So
(lossage-size 500) could set it and (lossage-size) could return the
current size?

Anyway, it doesn't look like you've merged the branch?  I think
everybody was in favour of adding this feature.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no