Subject: bug#38796: 26.3; `view-lossage': Use a variable for the lossage limit

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:00:33 -0400

>> My personal view is that we should allow only growing the size and
>> resetting it to the original size of 300.  Disabling the key record
>> should be a separate feature, most probably implemented by means other
>> than shrinking the recent_keys vector.
>
> I totally agree: they are clearly 2 separated features.
>
> Thanks for the comments, I will work on them and get back once
> completed and tested.

I agree that disabling should not necessarily be implemented by
"abusing" the max-lossage setting.

But I don't see any reason to impose a 300 minimum either.  I think it's
fine to impose a minimum, but it should be dictated by the limits of the
code.  I'm not saying we should work to push this lower limit down, but
just that it should reflect what the code can do safely rather than
being an arbitrary number like 300 (I'm pretty sure 100 would be safe as
well, since that's what we've used for many years).

        Stefan