Subject: 27.0.50; Emacs crashes with Google Noto Emoji Color Fonts installed

From: Francis Meetze <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 19:20:33 -0800

To reproduce install the Google Noto Emoji Color font library.

dnf install google-noto-emoji-color-fonts

apt-get install fonts-noto-color-emoji

Including a certain symbol from the Google Noto Emoji color font library will crash Emacs with "Fatal error 6: Aborted".

see reference: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1076735/emacs-crashes-on-pasting-the-unicode-symbol

I was just checking my email in Gnus when this symbol crashed Emacs in X11.  I didn't have any issues in terminal mode as the symbol didn't try to render.

Uninstalling the font library prevents the error.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13)
 of 2019-12-26 built on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: eddf4664d786e16b34f6bd0af238a567feb5012c
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12006000
System Description: Fedora 31 (Thirty One)

Recent messages:
Checking new news...done
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving file /home/francis/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/francis/.newsrc
Saving /home/francis/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/francis/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/francis/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/francis/.newsrc.eld...done
No projects needed to be removed.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --without-makeinfo --with-gnutls=ifavailable
 --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dashboard

Minor modes in effect:
  general-override-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  ranger-override-dired-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  fancy-battery-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  evil-commentary-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  global-evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-matchit-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug sendmail helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info winner gnus-async qp gnus-ml
misearch multi-isearch gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder bbdb-gnus
gnutls network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache .gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win whitespace magit-bookmark
bookmark pp company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-bbdb general company-quickhelp pos-tip company-web company-css
web-completion-data ac-php auto-complete company-php company-template
company ac-php-core popup xcscope f bbdb-vcard vcard bbdb-mua bbdb-com
bbdb bbdb-site timezone evil-magit helm-ls-git vc-git vc vc-dispatcher
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode transient git-commit magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
with-editor server ranger autorevert filenotify hl-line dired
dired-loaddefs geben dbgp dashboard dashboard-widgets time recentf
tree-widget page-break-lines helm-ag helm-projectile projectile grep
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs pcase spaceline-config
spaceline-segments spaceline powerline powerline-separators
powerline-themes fancy-battery battery synosaurus define-word rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc helm-flyspell
ace-jump-mode cl linum-relative linum display-line-numbers helm-swoop
gruvbox-dark-soft-theme gruvbox-theme gruvbox autothemer
git-gutter-fringe git-gutter fringe-helper which-key web-beautify
php-scratch s yasnippet rainbow-mode json-mode json-reformat
json-snatcher csv-mode sort sass-mode haml-mode js css-mode sgml-mode
eww mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr url-queue url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr text-property-search puny svg dom
ruby-mode smie coffee-mode php-mode mode-local imenu speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe etags fileloop xref project add-log cc-langs cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs php-face php php-project flymake-proc flymake compile warnings
xah-css-mode ido color web-mode aggressive-indent smooth-scrolling
exec-path-from-shell multi-term term disp-table ehelp ob-plantuml
flycheck-plantuml flycheck plantuml-mode xml dash org-bullets epa-file
epa derived epg epg-config org-crypt org-element avl-tree generator org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
time-date noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs autopair paren helm-mode helm-files helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils
helm-help helm-types helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp helm
helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib async evil-commentary
evil-commentary-integration evil-tutor evil-surround evil-matchit
evil-matchit-sdk evil evil-keybindings evil-integration undo-tree diff
evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice
evil-common windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring
diminish use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core finder-inf edmacro kmacro rx cl-extra help-mode info
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 668495 68870)
 (symbols 48 57793 2)
 (strings 32 214616 12521)
 (string-bytes 1 6764484)
 (vectors 16 88062)
 (vector-slots 8 1020282 45690)
 (floats 8 677 522)
 (intervals 56 849 418)
 (buffers 992 28))