Subject: bug#38735: GuixSD graphical Installer hangs on connecting to wifi

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 13:06:59 -0700

I built the graphical installer locally. Here's what "guix describe"
outputs:

  guix be0a613
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: be0a613c10f6c632b58cf19d37a8c1a5987de354

I used the following command in the guix source:

time guix system disk-image --file-system-type=ext4 --image --
size=$[16010(281+1)]MB   gnu/system/install.scm

I specified the size to be as close to the size of my thumb drive as
possible without going over. I think I wanted to add my system config to the
drive after it has the installer, but later decided against it. I used
gnome-disk-utility to put the resulting image on my thumb drive. 

When I boot from the drive, it goes as expected. I choose my language,
country, and time zone. I select to use the graphical installer, choose my
keyboard layout, and enter my host name. It then detects my wifi, and I
select it. This is when it hangs. A message pops up saying it is connecting
to the wifi. I expect it to give me a way to enter the wifi password and
other important information, but it doesn't. I left it alone for a good hour
with no change.

I have not yet tried the officially published graphical installer. I have
already put the ISO from the website on the thumb drive so I can see if the
wifi selection does not hang when it needs a password. Expect follow-up on
this regard later.

Thanks!

-- 
-Jesse