Subject: bug#38734: 27.0.60; C-c C-p Warning - 'python-shell-interpreter' doesn't seem to support readline ...

From: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:37:23 +0200

Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> In python-mode, when I pressed C-c C-p to launch Python shell it
>>> produced below warning. I am on MacOS Catalina 10.15.2. On MacOS
>>> terminal, the python-shell opens without any warning.

>> This happens when python uses a libedit based readline module, which
>> is the default on macOS.

> Yes. With homebrew version it is working fine. And since this is
> duplicate of 25753, I'll close this.
>
> I was wondering why the python shell is working fine in the native
> terminal. Are they not using readline?

Different version of readline is used.

This code is used to check readline version:
import readline; print(readline.__doc__)

Under homebrew python it says "Importing this module enables command
line editing using GNU readline.".

Under python shipped with macos it says "Importing this module enables
command line editing using libedit readline."

Commit b33808ce77ef15c1f233790a2c93d9db4cc588ab disable native
completions when libedit readline is detected.