Subject: Re: bug#38718: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 10:04:09 +0100

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Duncan,

> Emacs version aside, this appears almost identical to the other bug
> of same name: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38648
>
> Find this error in (default <remote filename>):
> /ssh:<username>@<hostname>:/System/Volumes/Data/<remote path to file>

Could you pls confirm, that <remote path to file> starts with "/home"?
And that on your local machine, "/home" is a symlink to
"/System/Volumes/Data/home"? If yes, your error is exactly the same as
bug#38648.

> $ sudo mount
>   auto_home on /System/Volumes/Data/home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

This looks like my suspicion. Hmm, if this is new in macOS Catalina, all
Emacsen are broken with the same.

> Might the fix in 27.1 referenced in report #38648 need to be
> back-ported to 26.x?

There are no plans for an Emacs 26.4. Emacs 27 will start its pretest
soon, and I don't know whether this problem will trigger a hotfix release.

What we could do is to publish the patch of bug#38648 on top of Emacs
26.3. Since we haven't done such an announcement yet, I don't know where
to do it.

I believe there are other fixes in Emacs 27 for macOS Catalina, which
are not included in Emacs 26.3. Maybe a special cumulative patch of
Emacs 26.3, good for macOS Catalina, could be done?

Eli? John?

Best regards, Michael.