Subject: bug#38718: closed (Re: bug#38718: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 10:55:01 +0000

Your bug report

#38718: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38718: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38718
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38718: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 11:54:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael,

Hi Duncan,

> I can confirm that the patch of Emacs 27.0.50 for bug#38648 applied to
> Emacs 26.2
> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/lisp/progmodes/compile.el?id=0a10795d0bf4fe21997f907b7d6b1fe13517912b>
>
> works.
>
> This is macOS Catalina (10.15.2). Emacs 26.2 is the version currently
> installed on my Macbook by brew/cask.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

> I rebuilt from patched version of the sources at emacsformacosx.com,
> which I believe reproduces the Emacs version used by and installed by
> brew. I hadn't done that before, and leave some notes here on what I
> did. May not be the best way, but it did work for me.

I still don't know where to put your notes for the public. Since we have
it here in debbugs, people with a similar problem will find your notes,
and could apply. Hopefully.

Or at least we could point them to your message.

There's nothing else we can do, so I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly
From: Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 21:05:08 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs version aside, this appears almost identical to the other bug
of same name: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38648

Using tramp, I had a remote cpp file open in a window.

I pressed "C-c c", which invokes a function in my .emacs called
compile-hereish, which (in this case) invokes the compile command with
the remote directory containing the remote cpp.

Compilation runs as expected, throwing certain cpp syntax errors. Now,
if I click on the red error text in the *compilation* window, I get a
prompt like:
Find this error in (default <remote filename>):
/ssh:<username>@<hostname>:/System/Volumes/Data/<remote path to file>

If I press enter, to confirm, I get a [No match] error

I believe this may be a newly revealed issue under macos Catalina. Of
possible note (especially the last), these are the mounts on local
(macos) machine:

$ sudo mount
  /dev/disk1s5 on / (apfs, local, read-only, journaled)
  devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
  /dev/disk1s1 on /System/Volumes/Data (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
  /dev/disk1s4 on /private/var/vm (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse) map
  auto_home on /System/Volumes/Data/home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

Might the fix in 27.1 referenced in report #38648 need to be back-ported
to 26.x?

As per autogenerated report below, I am using emacs 26.2 installed via
brew on macos.

The remote machine is running Ubuntu and:
$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n  7 Dec 2017

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20
Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-04-12 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
Recent messages:
Tramp: Encoding local file
‘/var/folders/nh/nhxs1bmd3h79lvh_z2lpfl700000gn/T/tramp.KiHs9f.cpp’ using
‘(lambda (beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh <username> nil
<hostname> nil
/home/<username>/Dropbox/progs/FUSEScatterFS/sbshared/src/SB_RemCli.cpp
nil)) beg end (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip)) t t nil (cdr
(split-string env GZIP= gzip)))) (base64-encode-region (point-min)
(point-max)))’...done
Tramp: Decoding remote file
‘/ssh:<username>@<hostname>:/home/<username>/Dropbox/progs/FUSEScatterFS/sbshared/src/SB_RemCli.cpp’
using ‘(base64 -d -i | env GZIP= gzip -d >%s)’...done
Wrote
/ssh:<username>@<hostname>:/home/<username>/Dropbox/progs/FUSEScatterFS/sbshared/src/SB_RemCli.cpp
Tramp: Opening connection for <username>@<hostname> using ssh...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -q -l <username>  -o ControlMaster=auto -o
ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none <hostname>’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘<hostname>’
Tramp: Opening connection for <username>@<hostname> using ssh...done
Compilation finished
Wrote /Users/<username>/.emacs.d/dotemacs-persistent-scratch.txt

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/<username>/.emacs.d/lisp/linum hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/linum

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
compile thingatpt linum cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs vc-git diff-mode easymenu make-mode dired dired-loaddefs files-x
misearch multi-isearch elec-pair tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache refill
easy-mmode server persistent-todo persistent-scratch
solarized-dark-theme solarized color dash advice undo-tree diff
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup string-inflection paren unbound
cl-macs cl gv delsel edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information: ((conses 16 579216 42454) (symbols 48 31163 2)
(miscs 40 320 1931) (strings 32 240818 5539) (string-bytes 1 2586465)
(vectors 16 55106) (vector-slots 8 1767127 124118) (floats 8 330 479)
(intervals 56 9362 551) (buffers 992 35))