Subject: Re: bug#38718: Emacs `compile' command does not handle remote (over TRAMP) file name correctly

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 21:20:42 +0100

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Duncan,

>> If yes, your error is exactly the same as
>> bug#38648.
> [DG] OK, makes sense
>
> Regarding the discussion between Michael and Eli on the most efficient
> way to proceed, if you have a patch that can be applied to 26.2 I
> could certainly give it a try. Or I can try next version of emacs once
> released.

Well, you might try the patch applied to Emacs 27.0.50 for bug#38648 on
top of Emacs 26. Likely, it will apply.
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/lisp/progmodes/compile.el?id=0a10795d0bf4fe21997f907b7d6b1fe13517912b>

> If you want to try to prompt the relevant binary distributors to
> patch, I believe I am pretty typical for current macos emacs users in
> that emacs is installed via "brew cask install emacs" which I
> understand obtains its binary from https://emacsformacosx.com/.

I don't use macOS myself, and I don't know who is building this Emacs
version.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.