Subject: [bug#38679] [PATCH] gnu: add geary.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:43:16 +0100

Kasperi,

Thank you for packaging Geary!  Unfortunately I can't test it 
right now, but here are two general points to help you apply 
Brett's suggestions.

Brett Gilio 写道：
>> +    (arguments `(#:tests? #f ;; Client tests require a 
>> wayland/X11
>> display.
>
> A single ; comment will suffice here since it exists on the same 
> line. I
> also wonder if it is possible to spoof that display variable in 
> the
> tests or just remove that singular test? I might look into this 
> if I
> have some time. Maybe mark this as a TODO:?

You can start a ‘virtual frame buffer’ (Xvfb) X server in the 
build environment:

  (add-before 'check 'start-xserver
   (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
      (let ((xorg-server (assoc-ref inputs "xorg-server"))
           (display ":1"))
        (setenv "DISPLAY" display)
        (system (format #f "~a/bin/Xvfb ~a &" xorg-server 
        display))
        #t)))

You'll find many other examples with ‘grep Xvfb 
gnu/packages/*scm’.

> In the mean time, I would also look over some of the inputs some
> more, because I wonder if things like "vala" should be 
> native-inputs
> instead? Just a thought, I could be wrong.

A rule of thumb is that inputs missing from

  $ guix gc --references $(guix build geary)

should probably be native.  It's likely that vala will be so 
missing.

Kind regards,

T G-R