Subject: bug#38665: [PATCH] Add nosqueeze for fill-paragraph

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 11:59:02 +1200

On 2020-05-20 02:22, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> It sounds like a one-off feature, so perhaps some special value of
>> the prefix argument, like zero or maybe "C-u C-u", would be a
>> better UI, as that would allow one to activate this option for a
>> specific command.
> 
> Agreed.  Jefferson, would you like to work on an updated patch?

To complicate things slightly, I have a patch languishing in my
"get back to at some point" pile for enhancing the use of prefix
arguments when filling text:

https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00300.html

Reviewing that thread, employing C-u C-u arose:
https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00313.html

My suggestion there for C-u C-u was:

>>> That could mean "prompt for the fill-prefix, and use the default
>>> column and justify values", but it might be more useful to instead
>>> make it prompt for *everything* -- justify, fill-column,
>>> fill-prefix, and maybe left-margin too.
>>> 
>>> The default value would be provided in each case, so you could
>>> just RET your way past the ones you didn't want to change.

I think we could blend the 'nosqueeze' option into all this, but if
the new changes could happen in a way which wouldn't create any serious
conflicts for the other changes I'm still hoping to get made, that
would be grand.

Or if someone is motivated, please feel free to run with what I'd
already done.  I may have some more-recent local WIP on my other
machine; I'll have a look for that later.

-Phil