Subject: bug#38665: [PATCH] Add nosqueeze for fill-paragraph

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:15:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 21:13:27 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Use case: I'm writing markdown text that goes something like
> >
> >     Outputs a 12-character string blah blah blah blah or if blah blah blah, returns `"            "`.
> >
> > In which the markdown contains a literal string with 12 spaces.  When I run fill-paragraph on that, the spaces get collapsed down to 1 space, so I added a customization option to keep the 12-space string unchanged.
> 
> Thanks for the patch, and sorry for the much the delayed response.
> 
> I think this could go in, if some people find it useful.

It sounds strange to me to have a defcustom for this.  Are you saying
that you want this no-squeeze variant for all or many M-q commands or
for prolonged periods of time?  It sounds like a one-off feature, so
perhaps some special value of the prefix argument, like zero or maybe
"C-u C-u", would be a better UI, as that would allow one to activate
this option for a specific command.