Subject: bug#38647: 26.3; image-next-file does not consider archived images

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 10:05:45 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> All this indicates that instead of using 'directory-files',
> 'image-next-file' should rely on 'archive-next-line' if the file
> is opened from an archive, and on 'dired-next-line' otherwise.

`archive-next-line' isn't used in tar mode buffers -- that's the
problem: There's no unified interface across the different archive
modes.  (Although perhaps there's just two?  arc-mode and tar-mode?

> When using 'dired-next-line' the image navigation order will be
> exactly the same as the file sorting order in the dired buffer,
> thus allowing the users to change the image order from dired.

Yeah, that would be nice.  

> Also this means that if there is no corresponding dired buffer
> already visited, then 'image-next-file' should create an internal
> dired buffer just for the sake of file image navigation.

Hm.  I think that makes sense...  but it would perhaps be a bit
surprising?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no