Subject: Re: bug#38647: 26.3; image-next-file does not consider archived images

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 11:49:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> When viewing archived images(zip or tar) with image-mode,
>> typing 'n' does not show the next image in the archive.
>> Similar for 'p'.
>
> Sounds like a missing feature which would be good to have, thanks.
>
> Any takers?

There's some difficulty knowing how to approach this -- the different
archive modes do so many different odd things.

For instance, if you open the file "guide.png" from a zip buffer,
buffer-file-name ends up being:

"/home/larsi/tmp/images.zip:guide.png"

In a tar file buffer, you end up with:

"/home/larsi/tmp/images.tgz!./guide.png"

So that has to be regularised first...  but will that break stuff?

Secondly, there doesn't seem to be any general "what's the next file in
this archive buffer" function?  Or am I missing something?

This seems like a trivial request, but I'm not sure we have the
infrastructure to make it happen...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no