Subject: Re: bug#38644: 26.3; emacs uses 100% CPU with auto-revert-mode

From: Peter Ludemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 11:31:51 -0800

Mattias:

Are you asking if I've tried this:

(dir-locals-set-class-variables 'auto-revert-with-polling
   '((nil . ((auto-revert-use-notify . nil)))))

(dir-locals-set-directory-class
   "/tmp/" 'auto-revert-with-polling)

No, I haven't.

Which version of Emacs would you like me to try this with? And what result
are you expecting/hoping to see? (e.g., might it reduce the current 30-80%
CPU load for polling with emacs 28.0.50?) There are only a few open files
directly under /tmp, so would this have any effect or does it propagate
down to subdirectories?

[Also, I'd need a few more details (not being an emacs-internals person)
... should I add this to my .emacs and restart, or execute in a scratch
buffer, or ...?]

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 05:05, Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity --- did you try setting auto-revert-avoid-polling?
> If so, did it have any effect?
>
>