Subject: Re: bug#38644: 26.3; emacs uses 100% CPU with auto-revert-mode

From: Peter Ludemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 13:12:24 -0800

> In bug#33194, a patch for Emacs 27.0.50 is mentioned. Do you have a chance
to run this for test?

Emacs 27.0.50 somewhat fixes the problem with global-auto-revert-mode,
using the same desktop file (and same open files) that was causing problems
with Emacs 26.3. (Sorry I took so long to test this.)
Emacs CPU utilization is now ~30-80% (according to top(1)) instead of 100%;
and responsiveness is good. Of course, it would be nicer if emacs CPU
utilization were less, so that I could fully utilize that core (I only have
4 cores, so losing half a core is notable on large tests).

Michael Albinus - you had a number of other questions ... do you still want
them (or some of them) answered?

best,
- peter

PS: Here's the desktop file, in case that can give some clue as to what
file or directory is causing problems. The "compilation" processes both
input from and output into /tmp/pykythe_test -- as you can see, there are a
couple of open files from that directory, but they're not being
continuously updated, only once or twice per test.