Subject: Re: [bug#38640] [PATCH] Add ripgrep and many rust dependencies

From: John Soo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 17:10:51 +0000

HI everyone,

I did some work on your review and have a couple questions before I submit
the next patchset.

* My questions for Martin:

> I'm trying to convince everyone to leave in the crago-inputs
> dependencies and add a "#:skip-build? #t" to the build arguments for all
> source pakages. That way we don't have to specify the transient
> dependencies at the top level package.

I like this idea. I think I will do it if you don't mind. It's either that
or add hidden? #t to the properties, right?
Whether to add #skip-build? #t to the packages is the last piece of review
I need to fixup.

* Discussion for Nicolo:

> - [email-masked]: all the source URIs are unreachable

I guix build [email-masked] and got the download. Maybe it was a
temporary network issue or something?

> Also:
> - rust-miniz-oxide-c-api-0.2: defined but not used

It is used by at least rust-flate2 I think.

* Work I did based on Nicolo's suggestions:

** Fixed
> Looking at them quickly, I noticed the following have the "a" in add
lowercase:
>
> - [PATCH 160/206] gnu: add rust-flamer-0.3.
> - [PATCH 073/206] gnu: add rust-tokio-sync-0.1.

** Fixed
>   - contains an undefined reference to rust-libc-0.2.58

Ah, that's because I left off my first package from the patchset. It will
be included next round.

> - rust-futures-channel-preview-0.3: home moved to
>   https://rust-lang.github.io/futures-rs/

** Fixed.
> - descriptions not ending in dot:

Thanks, looking forward to having ripgrep upstream :)

- John