Subject: Re: bug#38624: 27.0.50; [wish] tab navigation via keyboard should mimic buffer navigation

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 02:15:46 +0200

>> The key sequence for switching tabs doesn't need to be the easiest
>> to type, because after running it, the user still needs to type
>> the tab name to switch to, that requires more key strokes anyway.
>
> I would assume to use tab switching much more often than creation
> or deletion.  Since one has to create a window configuration with
> many key strokes before using it, it seems natural to use them for
> a relative long time, hence the support in desktop session
> saving.

Then I will bind tab switching by name to the most easy to type
key sequence 'C-x t RET tab-name RET' because reading the tab name
needs to be finished by RET too (like 'C-x 8 RET char-name RET').

> Perhaps switching by index is better -- for this I have to figure
> out how to use desktop-save-mode along with notmuch (for
> email).

Please try the already implemented switching by index
using customization of 'tab-bar-select-tab-modifiers'.