Subject: Re: bug#38610: Two libtool 2.4.6 issues

From: Sergey Poznyakoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 20:11:47 +0200

Hi Roumen,

Roumen Petrov <[email-masked]> ha escrit:

> Build with installed library into non-default locations

There's no question about non-default locations.  In real life examples,
all locations are system defaults.

> most of the time is painful.

And one of the purposes of libtool is to make it less painful.  That's
why I took the trouble to write a report.

> So report is for libtool and samples are for libraries but case is
> applicable for header files as well.

Header files are completely irrelevant here.  Both issues clearly
demonstrate that the problem is related to shared objects only,
explain why, and propose the ways to fix.

> Remark:
> In one of the provided samples is hard coded path -L $(libdir),
> i.e. -L<path> -l<lib>

Yes, and a rationale for it is provided.

> This should be $(FOO_LIBS) and depending from

This would imply parsing the output from krb5-config and splitting it
into _LIBS and _LDFLAGS related parts.  That was attempted as well, but
did not alleviate the problem in any way.

> $ pkg-config --libs openssl

Thanks, but pkg-config is not used at all.

Regards,
Sergey