Subject: Re: bug#3860: vc-svn calls "svn resolved" without permission

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 17:41:08 +0100

James Y Knight <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, I recently just switched to from Emacs 21 to Emacs 22 (22.2.1, on
> Debian Lenny), and was a bit disappointed to discover that vc-svn is
> now automatically calling "svn resolved" on files when I save them
> after removing conflict markers.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

This behaviour still seems to be present in Emacs 28, as far as I can
see.

> I use svn's list of conflicted files while working on merges, and tend
> to only call "resolved" on them when I'm *actually done* fixing a
> group of files. I'll note that emacs automatically calling "svn
> resolved" also destroys the .mine, .rOLD, and .rNEW files, which I
> wasn't actually done with yet. Having them disappear out from under me
> just because I've *partly* fixed things and saved is very
> counterintuitive!

I haven't used SVN myself in ages, and I don't even recall what my work
flow used to be.  However, adding a variable to suppress
`vc-svn-resolve-when-done' might make sense?  Anybody who actually uses
SVN still got an opinion here?

That this bug report is 11 years old and there doesn't seem to be any
other bug reports about this does perhaps indicate that people are fine
with how it works, and nothing should be done here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no