Subject: bug#386: 23.0.60; Different behavior in C-e and C-S-e between -nw and normal mode

From: Paul Lussier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:28:48 -0400

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In a buffer with text, the actions:
>>   C-SPC
>>   C-n
>>   C-e
>>
>> with trasient-mark-mode on results only in the last line being marked.
>> If a rectangle is being marked out, this results only in the region
>> from the beginning column of the last line to the end of the last line
>> being marked.
>
> I can't reproduce this.  Do you still see this problem?  If so, please
> provide an exact recipe, starting with emacs -Q

Yes, I still see this problem.  The above recipe *was* with -Q.

 $ emacs -Q &

 M-<     ; you're in the *scratch* buffer, so move to the top, and mark
         ; the text.
 C-SPC
 C-n C-n ; See [1]
 C-e     ; See [2]

[1] Highlighted text is currently:

 ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
 ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,

with cursor on line 3, col 1.

[2] Highlighted text is currently:

 ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

with cursor on line 3, column 49 (just after the '.').

M-x emacs-version claims:

  GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2008-07-07

Interestingly, this *only* seems to happen in X.  If I run emacs -nw, I
do not see the same problem.

C-h k C-e interestingly says:

  C-e (translated from C-S-e) runs the command move-end-of-line, which
  is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.

Whereas C-h k C-S-e saysL

  C-e runs the command move-end-of-line, which is an interactive
  compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.

So, it *seems* somehow, that C-S-e is behaving as C-e should...
I'm not sure why C-e is "translated" from anything.  And attempts at
re-mapping in my ~/.emacs doesn't seem to work.

I was going to update my CVS today and try another build.  I'll let you
know if that does anything.

-- 
Thanks,
Paul