Subject: bug#38597: closed (Re: bug#38597: 26.3; M-x describe-key-briefly does not work with various keys in various modes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 20:32:01 +0000

Your bug report

#38597: 26.3; M-x describe-key-briefly does not work with various keys in various modes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38597: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38597
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38597: 26.3; M-x describe-key-briefly does not work with various keys in various modes
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ed Sabol <[email-masked]>, "Edward J. Sabol" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 22:31:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 14:59:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Edward J. Sabol" via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Steps to repoduce:
> 1. Open an RMAIL file.
> 2. M-x rmail-mode
> 3. Type `h' to generate rmail-summary window for the RMAIL file and
> switch to the RMAIL-summary buffer/window.
> 4. Type `M-x describe-key-briefly' and then type `r'.
> 
> I would expect the "r" key to be described in the minibuffer, but it is not.
> It only seems to work if you use `C-h c'. This is with `emacs -Q'.

Thanks, this appears to be already fixed in the development sources,
which will become Emacs 27.1.

Subject: 26.3; M-x describe-key-briefly does not work with various keys in various modes
From: "Edward J. Sabol" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 14:59:08 -0500 (EST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to repoduce:
1. Open an RMAIL file.
2. M-x rmail-mode
3. Type `h' to generate rmail-summary window for the RMAIL file and
switch to the RMAIL-summary buffer/window.
4. Type `M-x describe-key-briefly' and then type `r'.

I would expect the "r" key to be described in the minibuffer, but it is not.
It only seems to work if you use `C-h c'. This is with `emacs -Q'.

This doesn't have anything to do with rmail-mode, I think. I'm just using it
to illustrate the issue.

This is a regression, but I'm not sure from when. I know `M-x
describe-key-briefly' works in Emacs 21.2.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2019-11-19 built on heasarcdev
Windowing system distributor 'Scientific Linux', version 11.0.11704000
System Description:	Scientific Linux release 6.10 (Carbon)

Recent messages:
Checking 176 files in /software/usr/contrib/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /software/usr/contrib/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /software/usr/contrib/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /software/usr/contrib/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/calc...
Checking 105 files in /software/usr/contrib/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Type y, n, ! or SPC (the space bar): 
Please type y, n, ! or SPC (the space bar):  [3 times]
Quit
You can run the command ‘switch-to-buffer’ with C-x b
r runs the command rmail-summary-reply
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/software/usr/contrib
 --exec-prefix=/software/usr/contrib/linux-6.x --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft=yes --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --with-gif=no
 --with-tiff=no --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG PNG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY LIBSELINUX LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB LUCID X11 XDBE XIM THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: RMAIL Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(novice pp shadow sort emacsbug sendmail mail-extr qp rmailsum help-mode
rmailmm message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 146727 30001)
 (symbols 48 20923 0)
 (miscs 40 6173 5232)
 (strings 32 37078 5051)
 (string-bytes 1 1368553)
 (vectors 16 15170)
 (vector-slots 8 530473 14410)
 (floats 8 53 251)
 (intervals 56 44328 4019)
 (buffers 992 19)
 (heap 1024 22266 1027))