Subject: Re: [bug#38596] [PATCH] gnu: Add PureScript.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 20:21:58 +0100

John Soo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I rebased these patches on master.

Hi John,

I've had an initial look through these now, sorry it's taken so long!

I think the patches are pretty much good to merge, but I do have a few
comments.

ghc-utf8-light could do with a better description, something a little
more informative.

The ghc-sourcemap and ghc-mtl-compat tests are disabled, it would be
good to at least add a comments as to why.

The ghc-protolude synopsis could potentially be more informative.

I think adding specific versions of dependencies for purescript is OK,
but only if they're justified, like if the package only builds with that
version. The justification should also be noted in the purescript
package description.

I don't think it's necessary to go through all the custom versions of
packages you've added, but it would be good to at least see if there's
one case where the upstream specification is overly strict, and the
slightly different version from Guix would work. That at least would
provide an example of how to override versions going forward.

Let me know what you think, thanks again,

Chris